Essay writing in English is one of the most difficult task a student has to undertake. Our problem is how to translate our thoughts and feeling into correct and living English.
What is Essay?
The Word Essay means to Attempt.
“Essay is an attempt to compose the relevant ideas in correct, concise, comprehensive and concrete way.” Essay is just a literary composition of any given Topic. It cannot be attractive unless you do not give lightness, grace and ease.
Mostly, students complain that they have no material for a topic or the other for essay writing in English.
Some are shy, while others approach their teachers for guidance, The only guidance that a teacher can give his student is that he should: Search, Read, Think and Practice writing.
From search we mean that a student must develop research attitude. The teacher can make use of the college library for that purpose.
A student must always be prepared to hunt his material wherever he can lay his hand upon.
Reading is most important requisite for writing. Reading will give you the material. But one has to make a healty selection in reading for some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few of be chewed and digested.
There is saying, “One may lead a horse to water, but twenty cannot make him drink.” This means a teacher cannot ask a boy to think. It is just a personal experience which cannot be forced on the students. The power of thinking can be cultivated and then developed through questions as suggested by Socrates.
If you wish to write good English, reading is not enough; you must practice. Do write something every day, even if it is just a paragraph. But write as well as you can so that you may be able to improve upon what only yesterday you regarded as your best.
Essential qualities of an Essay Writing in English:
- What is written must be perfectly clear; there must be no doubt in the mind of the readers as to the meaning.
- It must be expressed in an attractive way; the language should fit in with the ideas. Beautiful thoughts must be clothed in beautiful words.
- There ought to be a logical sequences in what is written; one idea should lead quite naturally to another.
- it is essential to keep to the topic about which it is intended to write. This is especially important in an essay for examination purposes. A composition on Cricket will be treated quite differently from an exercise on “The Advantages of Cricket”.
- Care should be taken with the setting out of the composition: the exercise must be series of thoughts about the subject in question. Each distinct line of thought should be indicated by a paragraph. Let there be a margin of the left hand side or the paper an each paragraph be denoted by an indent.
9,305 total views, 1 views today